The big gift giving day is fast approaching, and everyone is trying their best to check people off their gift giving list. And I am right there with you! We have our immediate family done, but other than that it will be a race to the finish line. This year I definitely have many thoughts about celebrating and giving gifts and just what all that means….(cancer really changes a person). As someone who is now on the receiving end of services from many different organizations, I have really been thinking about the presents that I am buying and where my money is going. So I wanted to put together a little list of products and companies that I have bought gifts from this year, that are giving back to causes that I want my money to support. GIFTS THAT GIVE BACK! None of this is sponsored….just have to throw that out there.
- LOVE YOUR MELON– Cancer is clearly my life right now. It will be apart of my life for the rest of my life. And it is apart of so many other people’s lives, especially children battling pediatric cancer. As a parent and a cancer patient, I just cannot imagine. But companies like Love Your Melon are trying to make a difference by providing a beanie to every child battling cancer in America, as well as supporting organizations that are leading the fight against pedantic cancer. 50% of every sale made goes to their non-profit organization partners. And you know you have someone on your list that will look cute in a beanie!
- CLEANING FOR A REASON– This organization is one that I have actually been on the receiving end of. I know first hand the amazing gift that they provide to a cancer patient. A clean house and a piece of mind. Cleaning for a reason donates their services to a breast cancer patient in active treatment. They provide a cleaning for the patient, and I cannot tell you how amazing that is when you are so physically ill that you cannot clean your own house. You can also give a cleaning as a gift to a patient, or simply donate to further their reach! If you are a breast cancer patient and in active treatment, you can apply for a cleaning on their website.
- HEIFER INTERNATIONAL– I love these little animal ornaments! But I love the mission behind them even more. A portion of the sales of these handmade ornaments goes to support women’s empowerment, and small businesses.
- VALENTINO x EVERY MOTHER COUNTS– 100% of the proceeds from this shirt goes to Every Mother Counts, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother! Not too mention it is a pretty chic tee to wear, providing a strong message. Again, as a mother I feel so fortunate to have had amazingly wonderful birthing experiences, and I really feel every woman should be provided the same comfort and safety!
- TOMS– Just like with every shoe sold, for every pair of eyewear sold, Toms gives a pair to someone in need. A one for one! There are so many great affordable sunglasses to chose from.
- B.A.R.E. SOAPS– I love the different scents of these candles, along with their array of soap options. 20% of proceeds goes towards b.a.r.e.’s mission which is to bring antiseptic resources to everyone.
- JOSH WINE CELLARS– Okay, this is one of my favorite brands of wine! And oh how I miss a nice glass of pinot. But they also give back to an amazing organization, Operation Gratitude, who’s mission is to give back to all those who serve! Josh Cellars gives $1 for every custom label created on their site. And how nice would it be to receive a custom label wine bottle as a gift? Sign me up!
- GROUNDS & HOUNDS– This is the perfect gift for the coffee lover on your list! We have ordered specialty coffee’s from here and the taste is fantastic! But the cause is even better! 20% of the proceeds go to support no kill rescue organizations, providing a safe environment to dogs between homes.
- THE DOLL KIND– Oh I love this organization so much! The dolls are so cute and well made, my girls love them. But the message is the reason it truly makes a great gift. Each doll comes with 10 tokens that your child can hand out, the tokens have a message on them that says “pay it forward”, a great reminder in our day to day lives. For every doll purchased, a doll will be donated to a child in need.
- THISTLE FARMS– They have a great selection of products that would make great Christmas gifts (I particularly like the gift baskets). Natural home and body products made by women survivors of trafficking, prostitution, and addiction. They do this by providing safe and supportive housing, the opportunity for economic independence, and a strong community of advocates and partners.
If you happen to live in the Savannah area, it would be great to make a donation to SAFE Shelter center for domestic violence services. I am part of an amazing group of women, Savannah Influencers, who’s mission is to positively impact the Savannah community through volunteer, fundraising, and awareness initiatives. SAFE Shelter is the organization we have chosen to support this year, and a donation of any kind would go along way this holiday season.
Obviously this is just a few feel good ideas on how to give back this Christmas. We live in such a consumer driven society (guilty as charged), that giving a gift with a little more meaning just feels gooooood!